Friday, July 27, 2012

Whole30 Meal Idea: Sausage and Green Beans

One of the challenges of eating clean is providing food that works for the needs of the whole family. I tend to be easy to cook for; I simply cook what I like to eat or whatever I'm in the mood for that day. The kids are not especially picky, but they do have strong opinions about what they eat.

Last week, I hit a home run with an extremely simple idea. I browned uncured sausage until it was nearly done; then I added a full bag of frozen french cut green beans to the same skillet. By the time the beans were ready, they had taken on a wonderful flavor from the sausage. I served the sausage and green beans over roasted Yukon gold potatoes to the kiddos. I did use some awesome olive oil Mom brought back from Italy on the potatoes. There's nothing like fresh olive oil!

For the perfectly Whole30 version, you could serve it with onions and cabbage, riced cauliflower, or on top of a fresh green salad.

The dish harkens back to a favorite dish from our time in China: Gan Bian Su Ji Dou. Maybe next time I fix it for Jason and me I'll bring the Sichuan heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment