Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hello Mornings - Day 3

For those of you who aren't aware, we read the same passage of Scripture on Day 2 as Day 1, but we focused on the character of Jesus rather than Peter. I found that my thoughts were mostly conveyed in my previous post.

Today we read Acts 4:13-21 seeking to note changes in Peter's character. Here are my thoughts:

Throughout his life Peter retains his passion for Christ, but now in Acts 4, he faces danger again (this time imprisonment) for naming Jesus as his Lord. He stands up to the high priests and proclaims with John that they will not be silent about what they have seen and experienced.

I was thinking about how God's transformation of Peter is not about erasing his personality and making him a holy robot. God is not interested in issuing standard makes and models of Christians. Instead God takes all the best gifts that He gave Peter and refines away the fear that held Peter back while granting boldness through the power of the Holy Spirit.

This passage reminds me that God calls a person to do His will; a person with gifts and weaknesses. And many of the annoying or less admirable traits we see in ourselves and in each other can be redeemed for the kingdom and used for God's glory as He makes us more like Christ.

Let it be said of us that we will not be silent about what we have seen and experience that the world may know we are His disciples.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! Loved reading your thoughts! I wrote in my notes today "He took who Peter already was and used it". :)

    ReplyDelete